Aims and Objectives
Ambitions for our town
We have been busy deliberating the future of Newbiggin by the Sea and how the Town Council, together with residents, can help to shape this. After much consideration, we have adopted the following aims and objectives for the Council.
The main aims of the Town Council will be:
- To raise the aspirations and prosperity of all our constituents, especially the young.
- To improve our environment, providing a clean, tidy and aesthetically pleasing place to live, work and visit.
- To encourage and support an increase in tourism.
- To increase the skills base within the town, supporting adults into work.
- To support an aging population.
Our objectives will help us to achieve our aims. We believe that these objectives are realistic, achievable and measurable: important for ensuring that we deliver on our aims and achieve real progress and results for our Town.
- Encourage all children to actively participate in arts, sports, literary or community activities, so that active partnerships are developed with key providers in the next two years.
- Provide tuition-based opportunities for all 7 to 10 year old children in the town over the next three years.
- Facilitate the training of ten future community workers over the next three years.
Improving our environment
- Increase the area of woodland around the community by a minimum of one acre per year over the next three years.
- Work with other agencies to promote responsible dog control to reduce the number of complaints received by the Town Council.
- Maintain Northumbria in Bloom RHS Silver Gilt status annually for the next two years.
- Investigate the feasibility of hosting a regular town farmers’ market, to decide on continued feasibility by August 2010.
- Support a programme of sporting, arts and community events throughout the year.
- Investigate tourist information, parking and toilet facilities, producing fully researched and costed proposals for consideration at the December 2010 budget meeting.
- Support the creation of apprenticeships and training opportunities within the town, creating six opportunities for Newbiggin by the Sea residents within the next three years.
Supporting the elderly
- Investigate the requirements for community transport, producing a fully researched and costed proposal for the December 2010 budget meeting.